A Prayer

Lord,

I want to be like you. I want to have your influence guide all I do. I have been thinking a lot about relationships, and how we interact with one another in this fallen world.

Our form of communication is imperfect. We misunderstand one another. We give offense. We take offense. We impose motive and intent on the words spoken to us. We defend the words spoken by us.

I want my relationships to be God-like and facilitated by my desire to communicate as perfectly as I can.

My prayer:

I want to lift people and bring light to their life.  I want my conversations to be honest. I want to speak to people with love and compassion. I want them to be edified and uplifted by my counsel, if they are in need. I want to be kind and charitable. I want to be understood. I want to say what YOU want me to say. I want to say it in a way that they hear YOU in my words

I know from experience that I can say things that are interpreted incorrectly. I am then forced to rethink. What is my intent? What did I say? Did I say it in a way that could be misinterpreted? Did I actually want that to happen? Am I being honest with myself? with them? with YOU? Can I see why it was misinterpreted? What can I do to fix it?

I know from experience that I can be offended by something someone says. I know from experience that my feelings can be hurt by something someone says. I want to give that up. I want to listen. I want to hear what people are saying without imposing my interpretation. I pray that I will hear what YOU want me to hear when I am listening.

We are products of our experiences. Who are parents are; how and where we were raised has a profound impact on how we view the world. The people we know, the kind of marriage we have; the experiences we have had in our past and present relationships affect how we interpret and see things. Hear things. Understand things.

I want to offer charity and love to all I communicate with.  I want others to feel safe and know that I won’t judge them. I won’t interpret for them. I will honor them by assuming they are speaking with integrity and a desire to communicate with love. I cannot do this without YOUR help.

I am imperfect. I am sorry for my weakness. I see it all the time. I mess up. I feel YOUR rebuke. I am grateful for that rebuke. YOU are always willing to stretch out YOUR arm and gather me back and allow me the opportunity to try again. Usually, immediately.


We are all YOUR children. We all have YOU and our Heavenly Mother as our first parents. I will seek YOUR guidance and influence every minute of every day. I truly need thee every hour.

Comments

An Ordinary Mom said…
I echo your heart felt prayer. Truly these things are the deepest desire of my heart. Thank you for sharing the yearnings you feel. May the Lord work with both of us as we walk our path back to Him.

Popular posts from this blog

So many thoughts

S*&#t I let my kids and their friends do

A Mother's Day Letter to My Kids