A grateful heart



"Whatever our individual troubles and challenges may be, it's important to pause every now and then to appreciate all that we have, on every level." Shakti Gawain

I would add to this -- whatever we may think we lack -- and then say this . . . 

Everyone in the world has more than someone else, and less than someone else. In this context, every person in the world has reason to be grateful. Not everyone has shoes, or three meals a day, or running water. Some people have more food than they can eat, enough shoes they can wear 3 different pairs in a day, and running water in all 6 bathrooms under the roof over their head. Some people have a loving family, a village free from war and disease, and thatch keeping out the elements. Some people have a summer house, a winter house, and a get-away house. Some people have no family, no peace, and no roof. Notwithstanding, everyone can be grateful for what they have, and everybody should make the effort, commit the time, and reasonably give to help those less fortunate. 

I live in extraordinary privilege and abundance, and I KNOW IT!! I don’t want to feel guilty for what I have. My circumstances are my circumstances and I believe spending time lamenting my wealth and affluence (because others have less - much less) is an insult to gratitude. I want to have what I have, keep what benefits and improves my varied circumstances, and then be radically grateful for it. I want to give when and where I can, and then I want to stretch myself to give more. I want to be privately and publicly appreciative for my gifts. I do not want to envy someone else's, and I do not want anyone to envy mine. We all have more than some, and less than others. We all have privileges, needs, wants and plenty. That is the way it will be until it isn’t. I want to use my abundance to help others, and know that there will still be scarcity and bounty.  I want to live in a state of radical, intense gratitude for all the things, people, places and experiences that bless my life. I don’t want to have a guilty heart. I don’t want a selfish heart. I don’t want a privileged heart. I want to show God a grateful heart, and believe everyone can offer this same thing no matter their circumstances.

Comments

I love this post! A life of gratitude and giving within the circumstances we find ourselves. When we live one day at a time, there is always enough to share and through Gods providence, the day takes care of its self.

Popular posts from this blog

So many thoughts

A Mother's Day Letter to My Kids

S*&#t I let my kids and their friends do