On being a parent

I have a few years of parenting under my belt. More than some of you and not as much as others. I also have a tremendous age range between my 9 children - the oldest being 33 years old and the youngest being 7 years old. Very briefly and succintly, these are a few things I wish I had done differently, better, earlier or more.

I wish I had

**Helped my children understand their personal relationship with their Heavenly Father earlier in their life. He is real and active in their lives and they need to be accountable to him (even more so than their earthly parents). The choices they make, the way they live their lives should be about pleasing their Father in Heaven; and by default pleasing me :)

**Personally rely on the Lord more and the "world" less. Included in my definition of the "world" is our Latter-Day Saint "world" that occasionally made/makes me feel like I am not doing the "right" thing. I am just a steward of these beautiful spirits. I don't want to squash them spiritually, mentally, or otherwise. I need the Lord's help and guidance endlessly. The right way is the Lord's way and that does not always manifest itself the same in all families. They are HIS children. HE will tell me what is best. I know this.

**Care less about what others do or think. What is right for some kids/families is not for mine. All children are individuals and respond differently to different things. Their individuality is God-given. Families are chosen in the pre-existence; I should trust that the Lord trusts ME to raise MY children.

**Pray and fast more.

Enough said.

Comments

No Big Dill said…
Those are wonderful suggestions and thoughts. I will take heed.

Popular posts from this blog

So many thoughts

A Mother's Day Letter to My Kids

Sunday