Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

Battle Hymn of the Tiger MotherBattle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I listened to this as an audio book read by the author. Now that it is over, I feel as though I am missing a friend. She told this story humorously and unapologetically. She was brutally honest even when it made her look like a raving lunatic. She explained why she was willing and compelled to parent the way she did. I admire her ability to stay true to her Chinese culture and parenting standards in the Western Culture she raised Sophie and Lulu in.

I learned some things, which I like more than being entertained. I think there is a lot of value to be found in the Chinese parenting model, even if I realize that personally, I could never maintain that level of control, nor would I want to. I respect Ms. Chua for her integrity in admitting to her readers that she was not always successful.  

It was a delightful book. It was even more delightful to have Amy Chua tell me this story in her own words and her own voice. Undoubtedly more entertaining that listening to Amy Chua read her first book, Day of Empire: How Hyperpowers Rise to Global Dominance – and Why They Fall.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So many thoughts

A Mother's Day Letter to My Kids

S*&#t I let my kids and their friends do