Love is all there is

I really, really love my kids.  I have five of the most interesting, witty (I like wit, I see it as a sign of intelligence), intelligent, right-minded, mildly helpful children a mother could hope to have.  (I am certain you do to.  We all do, that is the blessing of being a parent.  We get to be biased.) 

I have given birth to 5 children. (This is an important point because I also have 4 children I have not given birth to)  Boy, girl, girl, girl, girl!!  By the third child's ultrasound I was mildly disappointed it was a girl, by the fourth child's ultrasound I drove home in tears because she was a girl, and by the fifth child I didn't even have an ultrasound.  I don't think I could have taken the disappointment.  I DID however believe I was going to have a boy.  Holy Crap what a blow to my psyche.  How could this have happened to me.  Heavenly Father, I don't like girls, remember?  He does have a sense of humor.  I got hoodwinked. 

Many years have passed and I now have the pleasure of associating on a daily basis with 5 young people I truly enjoy.   I said to D4 this afternoon as she was walking out the door, "Thanks for being my friend." She looked puzzled. "You are my friend you know?" I said.  "Yea, but I don't really want to be," was her reply.  Too bad I say.  "I will try not to embarrass you."  Or maybe not. 

Love your kids.  Show them that you love them. Make sure they know it.  In the end, love is all there is.

P.S.  I love my husband WAY more than I love my kids, but that's another post.  

Comments

Brit H. said…
Such a good post. You always have the greatest perspective. Instead of being hurt by that comment, you just move on. This is why we need to lunch more. I need your perspective and your wisdom.

Popular posts from this blog

So many thoughts

A Mother's Day Letter to My Kids

Sunday